bibliography generation software

Subject: bibliography generation software
From: Sushil Oswal <oswal -at- KNUTH -dot- MTSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 12:33:53 -0600

We are looking for a versitile software package for generating lengthy
bibliographies in our department (forty-five English profs). Most of the
faculty have very limited knowledge of computer hardware/software beyond
using word processing packagaes. I personally use dBase IV for
maintaining my bibliographies but generating reports on dBase may be a
major problem for my colleagues. Could people on the net send info on
the packages they have used and found user friendly. The package must
have these features:

1. simple data entry templates with prompt/field markers

2. if possible, flexible enough to run on both old 286 machines with
basic monitor cards (no video) (some of us have 486 machines with video
monitors)

3. ability to convert entered data from one format to another. Most of
my colleagues use MLA bibliographic format although I use APA and some
also need Chicago style

4. ability to transfer data entries from one bibliography file to
another with ease (for example, dBase allows me to mark up any number of
files at any time for a bulk transfer to another data file)

5. ability to display the format characters or actual format on the
screen (this is my selfish interest since some of us do have equipment to
see complete formatting on the screen)

Please send your ideas to oswal -at- frank -dot- mtsu -dot- edu