Re: Dates

Subject: Re: Dates
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:06:00 PST

These are the crazies bunch of dates I've ever seen! The only one that
seems to make sense is Informix. What's significant about the other dates
(especially Nov 17, 1858???)? Why does Oracle feel it necessary to allow
dates into BC/BCE? And why did they pick 4712 BC? Are these "inside
jokes"?

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Monday, December 12, 1994 10:15AM

For applications the use the popular database systems, dates are covered for
the next few centuries. (I think most problems will occur with mainframe
applications.) FYI, these are the date ranges for some popular databases.

Informix January 1, 1 A.D. to December 31, 9999
Ingres January 1, 1582 to December 31, 2382
Oracle January 1, 4712 B.C. to December 31, 4712
RDB November 17, 1858 to December 31, 9999
Sybase January 1, 1753 to December 31, 9999

<snip>

Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com