Re: Word 2 - Text Wrapped in a

Subject: Re: Word 2 - Text Wrapped in a
From: Gordon Meyer <gui -dot- gordon -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 01:05:00 UTC

I use Word for Windows 2.0 at work extensively, and I've seen the
"all text inside a field code" problem two or three times. In all
cases, it was due to user error. Usually a result of someone hitting
the keyboard command to insert a field code (f9? I don't recall...)
without noticing or understanding what has happening.

It is possible to select just the text in a field code, and then copy
it out. However, it requires a very steady hand using the mouse. You
can do it with the keyboard, just use shift-arrow to starting after
the first '{' and stopping before the last '}'. If it's a long
document, well, good luck.

The other option is to save the document as RTF, as you mentioned,
then edit the RTF file and remove the two field-code tags. One will
be at the start of your text, the other at the end. It should be easy
to find once you get past all the font definition stuff. You'll most
likely need to use something other than Word to edit the file. While
you can convice Word not to interpret the RTF file, it's easier if
you using something like BRIEF which will take it as-is, and not wrap
all the lines together.

Good Luck -- G.