Re: Moderate techwr-l?

Subject: Re: Moderate techwr-l?
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 20:00:40 GMT

RE: Moderation of techwr-l

No. Although, I did like Bonnie's (?) idea of a FAQ. Of course,
then you have the problem misc.writing has: no one can ever find
the flaming FAQ.

Other reasons against modification (apologies in advance if I leave

out one of Gail's points):

1. Advertisements. I really haven't seen that many here, other
than the odd "MAKE MONEY FAST" garbage that seems to reappear about
twice a semester when school is in session.

2. Flame wars. Some of the most useful information I've gotten
from this group has--unfortunately--been through the flame sessions
(degree-vs-non-degree comes to mind). It seems like most people
on this group are fairly reasonable. (If you want to see a "flame"
war, check out alt.vampyres when some fool has posted a get-a-life
message. That's quite entertaining).

3. Daemons. Like someone mentioned, these are targeted in the
subject line.

4. Email messages. Do these really occur that often. I've only
noticed a few, and most of them seem to have some sort of
indicator in their subject line.

Last, I access the group through an Internet connection. I'd
hate to have my access cut to it when it provides so much
helpful information. There's been quite a few times when
an "off-topic" comment has helped me w/ something I'm working on.

-- Nancy Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)