Re: FrameMaker: "obvious choice" redux

Subject: Re: FrameMaker: "obvious choice" redux
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:51:21 -0800

Pat O' wrote:

>It's a Microsoftian paradox: Frame's the only game in town / no competition
>when it comes to long technical documents. Well, almost, but given what
>I've heard about Interleaf I'm going to steer well clear of it whenever
>possible.

>It behooves Frame Technology to recognize that they have a monopoly of
>sorts, and to be benevolently, rather than tyrannically, monopolistic. I'm
>hoping they were watching what happened to Intel with the whole Pentium FPU
>bug thing.

The past few days I've seen more complaints about Frame than ever
before, on TECHWR-L or any similar forum. (I must admit it gives me
the heebie-jeebies, since I'm about to convert, but I still think
it beats the heck out of Ventura.)

I'm just wondering if these same complaints are being directly sent
to Frame Technology via the Framers list or other means. I've gotten
the impression from some messages that Frame "dealers" have been
unresponsive (the old "we never heard that one before" story), but
I don't think most software vendors have the motivation or clout
to resolve issues regarding individual software packages. If they
did that for every package they wouldn't have time to sell anything.

What about Frame Technology? Has the support department there been
unresponsive as well?

Up until now, just about every Frame user I've encountered has said
Frame's support is excellent, and that's been my experience when
I've called to ask questions about the product's capabilities.

Any and all clarification is greatly appreciated!

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- com