state names

Subject: state names
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:22:29 -0800

Ok, I can't stand it anymore. This is not a matter of opinion.

Let us, as the sophomores say, define our terms: the zip code set up
by the postal service is a 7-character code of 2 alpha and 5 numeric
characters. The alpha characters are mnemonics.

No, repeat no, abbreviations involved.

So, boys and girls, the abbreviations of state names are as they
always were, Mich., Wis., N.Y., Calif., Ore., Ariz. ....

Therefore, ergo, and to wit, a proper address goes like this:

Name
[Number Street; box number; building ... appropriate identifier]
San Jose, California
CA 95125

True, the postal service did not do zip codes to benefit people
(except indirectly by handling mail faster), nor did they claim so.

It is also true that after spending our money ballyhooing the system,
they promptly ignored it and required us to use the full address
anyway (at least, the snippy postal service around here returns mail
that does not have the full address. They do not offer a reason.)
If they really wanted to be efficient, they would change the order of the
address to be read from the top down:

zip code
number and street, or box number, or ...
person

Whew! I feel better. (This is on both of the lists I subscribe to.)

Thank you for your time.
jb