Re: state names

Subject: Re: state names
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:07:06 CST

Jan said

> Ok, I can't stand it anymore. This is not a matter of opinion.

> Let us, as the sophomores say, define our terms: the zip code set up
> by the postal service is a 7-character code of 2 alpha and 5 numeric
> characters. The alpha characters are mnemonics.

> No, repeat no, abbreviations involved.

> So, boys and girls, the abbreviations of state names are as they
> always were, Mich., Wis., N.Y., Calif., Ore., Ariz. ....

> Therefore, ergo, and to wit, a proper address goes like this:

> Name
> [Number Street; box number; building ... appropriate identifier]
> San Jose, California
> CA 95125

> True, the postal service did not do zip codes to benefit people
> (except indirectly by handling mail faster), nor did they claim so.

> It is also true that after spending our money ballyhooing the system,
> they promptly ignored it and required us to use the full address
> anyway (at least, the snippy postal service around here returns mail
> that does not have the full address. They do not offer a reason.)
> If they really wanted to be efficient, they would change the order of the
> address to be read from the top down:

> zip code
> number and street, or box number, or ...
> person

Has anybody else ever heard of this? I've been hearing for years that the most
efficient way to address a letter (using my address as an example) is as follows

Nora Merhar
200 South Cass Ave #2
Westmont IL 60559

No periods. No commas (easier to read electronically). And if you know the 4-
code (as in 60559-1963) you should use it.

I've NEVER heard of the stuff Jan is talking about as making any difference.

Sorry this isn't too relevant, but I'm curious.

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com