Re: state names

Subject: Re: state names
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 14:32:56 -0800

> Jan said

> > Ok, I can't stand it anymore. This is not a matter of opinion.
> >
> > Let us, as the sophomores say, define our terms: the zip code set up
> > by the postal service is a 7-character code of 2 alpha and 5 numeric
> > characters. The alpha characters are mnemonics.
> >
> > No, repeat no, abbreviations involved.
> >
> > So, boys and girls, the abbreviations of state names are as they
> > always were, Mich., Wis., N.Y., Calif., Ore., Ariz. ....
> >
> > Therefore, ergo, and to wit, a proper address goes like this:
> >
> > Name
> > [Number Street; box number; building ... appropriate identifier]
> > San Jose, California
> > CA 95125
> >[snip]
Then Nora replied...

> Has anybody else ever heard of this? I've been hearing for years that the most
> efficient way to address a letter (using my address as an example) is as
follows

> Nora Merhar
> 200 South Cass Ave #2
> Westmont IL 60559

> No periods. No commas (easier to read electronically). And if you know the 4-
> code (as in 60559-1963) you should use it.

> I've NEVER heard of the stuff Jan is talking about as making any difference.

> Sorry this isn't too relevant, but I'm curious.

Yes, Nora, you're right and I've never heard of the stuff
Jan was raving about, either. The only thing I've heard
different is that we should use all caps. It's on the
printed documentation on a book of stamps (RTFM ;-))

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com