Re: Authorship

Subject: Re: Authorship
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 13:17:56 MST

I've snipped a lot of good stuff out of David's post, but
David Blyth wrote--
> Or to put it more simply, I believe that Glen's requirements are far
> too broad. You're the author of a document once you've written the
> document - even if you used inkwells and parchment.

======
I agree with you completely, David. However, I think the verb
"author" is being used in much broader terms here and everyone's
not on the same sheet of music. I'm not sure when, who, or why
this thread was started, but I *believe* the original question
or comment meant for "author" to be interpreted in its most
basic sense.

(I feel I'm getting tightly wrapped around some axle here--my
goal is simply to ask another question, not to pontificate. Bear
with me, please...)

Anyway, in some circles "authoring" means not only to write or
originate text, but to *create* the entire document (from
concept to delivery). For instance, I use Interleaf at work. Two
of the courses that were taught to new users of Interleaf were
"Introduction to Interleaf" and "Authoring with Interleaf." The
authoring course is by no means teaching anyone how to write;
rather, it is simply a course about using Interleaf's advanced
features: advanced page layout, toc and index generation, etc.

Finally, my question: Has anyone else encountered this (or
similar) broader definition of "authoring"?

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=