Re: Exxon name change

Subject: Re: Exxon name change
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 07:37:00 EST

Ten or fifteen years ago, I watched a PBS special that touched on this.
Esso wanted to redesign its logo and then call all of its corporate "arms"
by the same name. They brought in Raymond Loewy, a well-known and
influential designer, for the job. Loewy couldn't come up with a good logo
for "Esso" and -- here's where my memory is murky -- either suggested
"Exxon" or gave some guidelines for a name change. He then designed a logo
for the new name.

Loewy, by the way, designed all sorts of things. Being from South Bend,
Indiana, I remember him most for his work at Studebaker. I think the Avanti
was his design.

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta