Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:00:00 PST

1. I agree with Rick, -he's broken the code.

2. I'd really be surprised if technical writers use professional resume
writers or cover letter ghost writers. Am I naive. Could we get a quick
poll on how many of us use someone else's writing skills to get a writing
job?
===============
At 9:13 PM 3/7/95 -0500, Rick Lippincott wrote:
>Gwen Barnes suspects that a large number of cover letters are ghost written.

>Possibly, but wouldn't that interject a delay into the response? The
>conventional wisdom I've always followed is that you want to respond quickly
>to learning of a job. For example, Sunday morning I see an ad in the paper.
>My resume is ready. I carefully craft a cover letter directed towards the
>company, and it can go off into the mail Monday morning. (If there's a fax
>number, I can fax modem it in Sunday night from home.)

>Meantime, another job hunter sees the same job. While I'm dropping my
>envelope off at the post office, he's making an appointment with the ghost
>writer. My letter is in the manager's hands, his is going through the final
>draft. I've already made a follow-up call, his is just getting out there.
>I'm being called in for an interview, he's still trying to find out his
>status.

>My personal feeling is that a person who can't manage to write a cover
>letter might want to think about a career other than tech writing.

>Rick Lippincott
>Eaton Semiconductor
>Beverly, MA
>rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com
==================

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius