Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:37:21 -0800

Rick Lippincott said:
> For example, Sunday morning I see an ad in the paper.
> My resume is ready. I carefully craft a cover letter directed towards the
> company, and it can go off into the mail Monday morning. (If there's a fax
> number, I can fax modem it in Sunday night from home.)

1) Did you find your current job through an ad?! Conventional wisdom
is that this is the worst way to find a job.

2) How do slant it towards the company if you don't already know the
company? (This is a serious question: I live in Silicon Valley,
and there are a LOT of companies, big and small. Some of them I can
look up, but not all of them are listed in various sources available
to me.)

3) Most of the job ads in the San Jose Mercury News don't list a
company name. So how do you slant your letter in those cases?

> My personal feeling is that a person who can't manage to write a cover
> letter might want to think about a career other than tech writing.

Agreed.:)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com