ROADMAP WORKSHOP INFO

Subject: ROADMAP WORKSHOP INFO
From: Coleen MacKay <cmackay -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:22:25 EST

Recently someone asked about how to subscribe to the Roadmap
workshop. I don't remember who asked, so I'm posting this
message to the list. My apologies. As you can see, the
workshop is closed indefinitely but you can still get the
lessons.

If you have any friends who were not able to subscribe to the
Roadmap workshop, the following letter may be of interest to
them. This letter explains why the Roadmap LISTSERV is no longer
accepting subscriptions, and it also shows your friends how they
can still participate in the Roadmap workshop without having to
subscribe.

It would mean a lot to me if you would share the following letter
with your friends and coworkers.

-----

The response to the Roadmap for the Information Superhighway free
on-line Internet training workshop has been so incredible -- over
80,000 people from 77 countries have subscribed to the workshop's
four LISTSERV distribution lists -- that I have had to close the
Roadmap workshop's LISTSERV distribution lists to new subscribers.

That's the reason you may have a received a letter telling
you that "you are not allowed to join the Roadmap list."

Wait ... it gets worse. At this point in time, I really don't
have plans to repeat the Roadmap workshop anytime in the near
future.

That's the bad news. The good news is that even though you can
no longer subscribe to Roadmap, I have set up a way that you can
get all of the Roadmap workshop lessons sent to you! I have placed
every single one of the Roadmap workshop's 27 lessons on a computer
at the University of Alabama, and you can retrieve the lessons
using a few, simple e-mail commands (am I a great guy or what?).

To find out how to retrieve the Roadmap workshop lessons, and
to find out a little more about the Roadmap workshop itself, all
you have to do is send an e-mail letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

(that's "you-ay-won-vee-em") with the command

GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the *BODY* of your e-mail letter.

NOTE: Simply replying to the letter that you are reading right now
with a GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL command will *NOT* work. You must
send a *NEW* letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

with the command

GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the body of your letter for your command to work.

After you send your letter off, a computer at the University of
Alabama will process your letter, and will -- usually within
24 hours -- e-mail you two letters: one telling you a little
more about the Roadmap workshop, and another telling you how
you can retrieve the workshop lessons with a few, simple e-mail
commands.

Cool, huh?

You can also find the Roadmap workshop archives on the University
of Alabama's CMS Gopher server (UA1VM.UA.EDU) in the "Network Resources,
Services and Information" menu, or on my World Wide Web homepage at

http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/crispen.html

(my site's web server is a little flaky, though)

I do have one small request, though: please do NOT write to
POSTMASTER -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU, POSTMASTER -at- UA -dot- EDU, LISTMASTER -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU,
or ROADMAP-REQUEST -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU asking them to add you to Roadmap.
The workshop's subscription lists really ARE closed <<smile>>.
The only way to get the lessons is with the GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL
command.

Thank you again for your interest in the Roadmap workshop, and I hope
that you will enjoy the lessons.

(Please feel free to redistribute this letter to others)

/O O ./ .' PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN
{O__, \ { PCRISPE1 -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU
/ . . ) \ THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
'---.~_ _ _& Warning: squirrels.