SUMMARY-plural of CD-ROM

Subject: SUMMARY-plural of CD-ROM
From: Coleen MacKay <cmackay -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:42:10 EST

Thank you all for your help. Sorry it took me so long to
summarize the responses for the list. I was busy arguing
with my co-worker. He finally decided to shorten the
plural, and the user guides now say CDs rather than CDs-ROM
or CD-ROMs. This solution works for our audience although
it's not my favorite.

I got 10 responses and only one agreed with my co-worker
that the plural logically should be CDs-ROM, but even he
agreed that that form looked stupid.

One response gave the argument that internal plurals are
linguistic artifacts and no longer effective. Several
others pointed out that most people say CD-ROMs and
understand what you mean when you say CD-ROMs and might find
the other form offputting.

I appreciate all the techwirler support for my pluralization
even though it didn't convince my co-worker. He's the type
who doesn't like to admit he's wrong, but his arguments got
more and more convoluted and ridiculous as the discussion
continued. But what do you expect from a lawyer? :)