? Where to Find Books

Subject: ? Where to Find Books
From: Harold Snyder <ENSNYDER -at- ECUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:18:02 EST

Bev,

As simple as some folks try to make _tech writing_, it really is <complicated>.
There are so many books _out there_ that often times titles are misleading,
so you are kind of on your own.

Most of the books used in academia tend to be quite bland, so most non-tech
people don't read many. However, there is one book that most tech writers
(and editors) find helpful is the _Handbook of Technical Writing_ by
Charles T. Brusaw, Gerald J. Alred, and Walter E. Oliu <4th edition 1993> is
published by St. Martin's Press--its 800+ pages are helpful on the mechanics
of writing <grammar, punctuation, etc.). It sells for under $20.00 and is
available through most books stores (though I suspect most don't carry it).
Another book that is helpful is _Working with Words_ by Brian S. Brooks and
James L. Pinson (also published by St. Martins> is smaller (100+ pgs) and a
little cheaper <by about 5 bucks> and it is spiral bound--on the down side,
it is more helpful for media writers <nonfiction, entertaining prose, as
opposed to technical writing. Two more books that we use here at ECU but are
helpful for tech writers: _How to Write and Present Technical Information_
by Charles H. Sides (2nd edition) is published by Oryx Press of Phoenix, AZ
and Writing Better Computer User Documentation by R. John Brockmann (2nd ed.)
is published by John Wiley & Sons (who publish a lot of tech writing books).

Right now I'm on campus, but I'll try to bring an abbreviated list of tech
writing books that are easier reading and probably better suited for you.
(at least, after I retired from the USMC a few years back, I discovered
the joys of teaching tech writing/editing and wished I would have known
more _civilian_ reference books that were helpful).

Good luck.

Sempre fi,

Hal Snyder, Captain USMC/Ret but still a
Scientific and technical writer/editor and
By direction of the Commandant of the Marine Corps
Always a Gentlemen, but no more a "Sir!" cuz
In cyberspace, all realities and rank aren't
ensnyder -at- ecuvm1 or ensnyder -at- ecuvm -dot- cis -dot- ecu -dot- edu