Response to spamming...

Subject: Response to spamming...
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:16:37 LCL

Patrick Brian O'Connell wrote <<This utterly netiquette-ignorant jerk
just sent me (and everybody else on this list, I think) a long
blahblah message about some new mailing list -- and it seemed to be
mostly an excuse for him to whine... <snip> use the Net-approved
method of censuring spam artists.>>

While I agree with the sentiment, the punishment is a bit
indiscriminate. If we all mailbombed the author, we might crash his
local service provider, which will certainly harm others beyond the
individual responsible. If you can locate his site administrator,
better to send a polite complaint there. If not, the best possible
revenge on those whose opinions you don't like is to ignore them: if
the offender's reward is attention, deny the reward by ignoring
him/her. Much more effective, and you won't harm any innocent
bystanders.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---strong, relatively silent type