Font readability? -Reply

Subject: Font readability? -Reply
From: Judith Leetham <JUDITHL -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 13:59:24 -0600

Printing design manuals traditionally recommend using a serif
typeface for paragraph + length text. The reason is that the serifs lead
the eye from one character to the next, where the sans-serif faces tend
to stop the eye (hence their effective use for headlines). However, the
rules change on screen, because serifs tend to lessen the focus. In that
case, sans-serif works better.

Judith Leetham
JLEETHAM -at- novell -dot- com

Karen asks:
>>> Karen Davis PSP team 03 505 <karene -at- ASIMOV -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
04/07/95 10:29am >>>
". . . change the font we use from a sans serif to a serif type. He claims
that serif is more readable. Does anyone have some data (studies, hard
evidence) to back one style or the other?