Re: Innate Abilities

Subject: Re: Innate Abilities
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 19:39:25 PDT

Vince Putnam writes:

Kindly consider the attitude and aptitude, while "training and experience"
will NOT ever leave anyone "unaffected", it can not be a substitute for
"natural ability". You have that ability and admit it or not, it was not
force-fed (that's horrifying) into you. Unless you have just taken the
opposite tack in a race for words, just look at the result of attempts to
make silk purses out of . . .

All excellent writers have innate talent which is brought out by
experience. All bad writers have no business in our business. I am, :-)

You're just reiterating your previous position, which boils down to
"some people got it and some people ain't." I have provided at least
anecdotal evidence and personal experience for how I think this may
not be the case.

Rather than endlessly restating your opinion, how about coming up
with some:
(a) direct evidence,
(b) informed opinion, or
(c) illuminating anecdotes?

To quote Monty Python:

CUSTOMER: Contradition isn't argument!
ARGUER: It can be.
CUSTOMER: Argument is a series of connected statements that establish
a proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic naysaying
of the other person's position!
ARGUER: No it isn't!

-- Robert