Re: JoAnn Hackos' book

Subject: Re: JoAnn Hackos' book
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:55:28 -0400

You wrote:
------
Is this the right book for me? I'm mainly interested in documentation and
not 'instructional design'. I've heard good things about JoAnn's course,
but I really want your thoughts on the book.
------

Yes, this book is very, *very* good. But be careful. Before you implement
anybody's ''proven methods'', make sure they fit well with your own working
style and with the needs of your company. I've seen departments that
adopted similar documentation management methods, but applied them in a
rigid, unthinking manner that couldn't be adapted quickly enough as
requirements changed.

------
The boss is unlikely to send me to the U.S. to attend the course :^(
------

Your boss --- and others in similar management positions --- might be more
willing to send you to Sydney or Brisbane or Canberra.

Is there an umbrella organization for STC that covers all of Australia?
Maybe you could convince them to sponsor a course.

Import Ms. Hackos. Publicise the h! -at- # out of it. Charge a reasonable fee
for the course to cover her travel expenses, advertising, etc. Give
discounts for STC members and for whole work groups that register together
(the best way to implement her strategies).

Good luck!

@Kat
- view sig with monospaced font & 60char screen window -

Kat Nagel LIFE1 (techwriting) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
MasterWork LIFE2 (music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com

/| SEEN ON THE 'NET:
\'o.O' (original quote was w/o attribution)
=(___)= "If you are not part of the solution,
U you are part of the precipitate"