semicolon question from Timothy S.

Subject: semicolon question from Timothy S.
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 07:53:07 -0500

Timothy asked about this sentence:

>Consider the following-----> At ABC company, we make products with the
>consumer in mind; products that aid in productivity and quality.

Semicolons can be used to separate two independent clauses. The second
half of your sentence is not independent. Instead, I would use an
em dash.

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.