URL

Subject: URL
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:27:00 UTC

>> My boss asked me what URL means . . .

A URL is a uniform resource locator.

To quote Laura Lemay, a URL can be thought of as an address to interesting
places on the Web. You use a URL by starting up your browser, and then
selecting the Open... menu item (sometimes called Open URL. . ., or just
Go). At that point you can enter in that URL and your browser will link up
to the information contained at that address.

___ end quote from page 4
continuing further on . . . .

Besides the immediate use of URLs (as an internet address), you also use
URLs when you create a hypertext link within a document to another document
(on the Web). So any way you look at it, URLs are important to how you and
your browser get around on the web.

URLs contain information about how to get at the information (what protocol:
FTP, gopher, HTTP), the Internet host name to look on, and the directory or
other location on that site to find the file. There are also special URLs
for things like sending mail to people . . . and for using the telnet
program.
--- end of quote from page 20

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com

P.S. I'm quoting from "Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML in a Week"
by Laura Lemay, SAMS Publishing, Indianapolis, Indiana. 1995.