Re: Would you be angry

Subject: Re: Would you be angry
From: "<Pam Owen>" <powen -at- MAIL2 -dot- LMI -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 18:47:46 EST

Rick Lippincott writes

<On this topic, many folks are starting to advise Richard (and, in
<reality, -all- of us) not to burn bridges.

Rick then goes on to tell the story of how biting his tongue and not
getting angry when he was (unfairly, it seems) pushed out of his job,
because he got his next job through a good recommendation from his
boss.

My comment is that there are bridges and there are bridges. I'm a
consultant, and I've yet to burn a bridge I want reconstructed. I'm
known for being direct, sticking by agreements, and not playing office
politics. I've been known to issue ultimatums based on what an
employer (or client) initially promised and then walk out the door
when the contract was not honored. I also have never taken abuse or
unfair treatment from anyone. I've never regretted any of these
actions.

I figured out a long time ago that I'd rather maintain my sense of
justice and lose the creeps who don't know the meaning of the justice
than to feel that I haven't taken a stand in my own behalf. As a
result, me client list is constantly improving, employers that
consider employees to be useless slaves were left behind, and I have
no regrets. Of course, I also decided early on that few employee
environments exist in which employees are treated fairly and with
respect - that's why I have my own consulting business.

Each person has to determine want is most important in his or her life
and proceed on that basis. If you're trying to support a family and
can't afford to lose a job (at least at a particular time), then you
bite your tongue and muddle through as long as you have to. If, like
me, you've constructed your life so that you can afford to move on,
you say what you have to say and then leave, out of self-respect! (I'm
not rich - far from it - but if I quit a job my two dependents will
only need to eat cheaper cat food for a while. I also decided long ago
that freedom was more important than whatever gratification being
married and having a family can provides.) Usually, I have lots of
clients who need my services, so leaving an undesirable job just gives
me the chance to work with better people.

I agree with several other list members that we should all be
constantly looking for a new job (or client) - a better one is almost
always out there somewhere.