Re: Telecommuting (was WWW PUBLISHING)

Subject: Re: Telecommuting (was WWW PUBLISHING)
From: Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CCN -dot- CS -dot- DAL -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 11:23:04 -0300

On Sat, 16 Sep 1995, Kris Olberg wrote:

> Certainly! Here's a topic in which I'm interested: How can we use the 'net to
> get jobs in a rural setting? I would like to hook up with a network of
> writers who telecommute because I REALLY want to move away (outside of daily
> commuting distance) from the Twin Cities. Why?

[snip long list]

> Anyone else interested in telecommuting? Are you currently telecommuting?
> There are disadvantages, but for now let's focus the discussion on the
> positive aspects.

I'm very interested in discussing this topic. The way "telecommute" is
most often used means, I think, that you work from home for *one* company;
in my case, I "telecommute" for many clients. In other words, I'm
self-employed and work from my home. Nevertheless, the communication
issues seem to be much the same, though in my experience it's a lot
easier on everyone if you already know the company inside out (i.e., have
worked in-house there.

There are a lot of pitfalls, but the biggest positive aspects, for me,
are (first thoughts here):
- Being left alone to do your work
- As self-employed person, can deduct work-from-home expenses on tax return
- Less travel expense, wear & tear, & hassle
- More available for child's & family's needs
- Forced into staying current with remote/cross-platform transfer technology
- Less clothing expense
- No office pools, employee club dues, and other items that used to erode
my paycheque

Give me time, I'll think of more.

Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- ccn -dot- cs -dot- dal -dot- ca>
"You hit the nail on the dot."
-- Roncaism of the Week --