Source of Quote -- Safire?

Subject: Source of Quote -- Safire?
From: Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CCN -dot- CS -dot- DAL -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:51:56 -0300

Help! Like the accountant who can't balance his [yes, I'm for the generic
"he"] own checkbook, I've lost the source of the following quote, which I
plan to use in a display this weekend. Is it William Safire?

"The English language is not the King's engligh, or the grammarian's
english, but the english-speaking world's english -- to be fought for and
fought over by all who find joy in the world of words."

[Don't worry about uppercase or lowercase "english" -- the display will
be in all uppercase.]

Any clues would be much appreciated. TIA.

Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- ccn -dot- cs -dot- dal -dot- ca>
"You hit the nail on the dot."
-- Roncaism of the Week --