Re: Boring Discussions

Subject: Re: Boring Discussions
From: "Susan Self @ignite" <susan -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:57:02 PST

Neophyte Willard Brooks wrote that he can't see the interest in discussions
of grammar and acronym capitalization. From his comments, it seems that he
has not gotten into the everyday writing problems that technical
writers face. We are always having to make decisions about how to use
language. I think that people who like technical writing generally have
a love of language as well as an instinct for teaching and promotion.
People who don't care about language tend to be sloppier in their
presentation and less effective in the profession. They may be lured
by the technical side and less capable on the writing side. Either they
should learn to get into the language more or change to a related field,
like programming or hardware design. We certainly don't need any more
mediocre technical writers.

Susan Self
San Diego, CA
susan -at- thomsoft -dot- com