Re: PCMCIA vs PC Card

Subject: Re: PCMCIA vs PC Card
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 21:31:00 -0600

+ PC Card is the designation for a standard and a device conforming to
that standard.

As always, Bev, it depends upon the audience. The PCMCIA standards folks,
realizing just how unwieldy of an acronym they chose for themselves, have
been trying to get it shortened to "PC Card." The problem with this
designation is that it extends a 24-karat gold RSVP invitation to confusion,
as most users don't know that the standard bus in PC's is called the ISA
bus, but instead know it, as someone else pointed out, as the "PC bus."

If your audience is quite familiar with PC=PCMCIA, then go ahead and use PC.
Otherwise, I'd steer clear of it until the majority of ISA equipment has
disappeared. The full acronym only costs you 4 more letters, a small price
to pay for clarity.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data