PostScript.

Subject: PostScript.
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 17:32:10 0800

In <199601052131 -dot- NAA07790 -at- fun -dot- direct -dot- ca>, on 01/05/96 at 11:37 AM,
Ed Marsh <ed_marsh -at- TCPGATE -dot- IBI -dot- COM> said:

>>Q1: I have loads of .pfm (.pfb? fonts), Is it possible that I am not
>>even making use of these because I don't have a ps driver loaded?
>These are Type 1 fonts. You need both the pfm and pfb fonts for them
>to work (one is the font metrics, the other is the screen font.) You
>also need Adobe Type Manager to get them to print properly.

This assumes one is using Windows -- OS/2 uses Adobe Type 1 fonts
exclusively, and includes Adobe Type Manager with its WinOS/2 support. Most
"other" platforms likely use something similar, I imagine - TrueType is a
Windows-proprietary thing.

>>Q2: What advantages, if any, are there if I load a ps driver.
>PostScript (PS) is the standard for the printing industry. If you send
>your doc out to a printer, you'll have to use Type 1 fonts. Type 1
>fonts are generally of better quality than TrueType.

The quality of any fonts are dependant only on the quality of the work put
into them. Type 1 fonts, however, are more flexible than TrueType.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
---*** NOTE: Windows 95 Fixpack now available! ***---
See http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/drk95.html for more info!

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!