Certification

Subject: Certification
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:57:00 +1100

What no one seems to have considered in the idea of using the
Publications competition as a certification standard, is that it takes no
notice of the conditions under which the work is performed. For example
we can usually only afford photocopied black and white manuals with a
fairly cheap binding. We are generally under enormous time pressures and
we realise that the work is not as good as it should be BUT it is as good
as it can be in the circumstances. Somebody that has realistic
deadlines, plenty of money, plenty of access to the developers and a
product that doesn't change a week before it goes to the printers is
going to find certification a lot easier.

I'm not sure whether I think certification is a good idea, but I know
that I don't like the idea of it being only on the output. Besides as a
technical communicator my ability to meet deadlines, get on well with the
team, liase effectively with clients etc. is as important as my
ability to analyse, write and format a document. Anyone that has worked
under a manager that believes output is the only thing that matters,
understands what I mean.

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

The opinions expressed are mine and not the ABCs.