Re: Tech writing students

Subject: Re: Tech writing students
From: yunkerj -at- MSCD -dot- EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 11:47:01 -0700

I teach in a department that offers degrees in Technical Communications. Many
of the students who elect to take our courses are majoring in an engineering
technology or aerospace. Thankfully we have rather up-to-date equipment and
programs for wordprocessing, presentation graphics, and multi-media.

I have found that our Technical Communications major take to the computers
very easily and readily solve problems presented by new or unfamiliar computer
programs. However, I have also found that the engineering technology students
and aerospace majors require considerably more assistance and encouragement
when presented with a new program.

One reason for this difference, I believe, is that engineering technology and
aerospace students are accustomed to using one or two programs to accomplish a
variety of tasks. However, from the very first course in Technical
Communications, our majors are required to use a variety of programs, even to
accomplish similar tasks, such as WORDPERFECT and MICROSOFT WORD for
wordprocessing, POWERPOINT and BRAVO for presentation graphics, etc. Learning
to solve problems presented by different computer programs just becomes "old
hat" to them.

YunkerJ -at- MSCD -dot- EDU