Discussion lists <> Gossip? - was [no subject]

Subject: Discussion lists <> Gossip? - was [no subject]
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:26:30 HST

From Marilyn Smith replying to Geof Hart re [no subject]:
>>You said it Geoff! I'd also appreciate the same courtesy with the spoken
word. When the workplace is gossipy, sometimes your words are distorted in
order to fit the teller's agenda. There can be an impact to me that
happens *only* because I am incorrectly quoted.<<

That's an interesting idea! I wonder ... in what ways are Newsgroups/discussion
lists like gossip? How are they different? True, sometimes in gossip, words are
distorted to fit the (re)teller's agenda. But in all communications, whatever
is being said/written is filtered through the hearer/reader's perceptual
mindset, correlated with the hearer/reader's existing knowledge and experience,
then understood in terms of that knowledge and experience. So, many times, the
"distortion" is not to fit the (re)teller's agenda, but due to his or her
perceptual mindset, knowledge and experience. (Not to mention the "soft" stuff
like general personality, attitude, amount of sleep obtained the night before
replying, etc.)

What do you folk think?

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."