Moderated list comments

Subject: Moderated list comments
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 18:01:04 PDT

--- On Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:49:59 -0500 Ronald Lee Stone
<ston0030 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu> wrote:
>A few posters have been vocal in opposition to a moderated list.
>And Eric does not appear to be interested changing the list to a
>moderated discussion. However, there may be a few good reasons for
>making a change to a moderated discussion.

...several good points deleted...

>If everyone wanted a moderated list a moderator would still need
>to be chosen (this may be the listowner or someone else). An
>academic department or the STC might consider supporting the
>moderation of a discussion for technical communication.

I think that a moderated list discussing technical communication
issues would be a great thing. I don't think that TECHWR-L
is the place for it. My occasional bitching and moaning
notwithstanding, I REALLY like this list and you people.
I'd hate to see TECHWR-L change other than through the current
course of evolution.

If some organization wants to sponsor a second (moderated)
list, that would be great. I'd probably even throw in an
application to be the moderator. My two cents: A moderator
for such a list would HAVE to be paid. Volunteers don't have
the time it takes to do it right, nor can they (rightly)
prioritize the list over real responsibilities consistently
enough to keep it dynamic. (To forestall the
question, nobody pays me to do this.)

Eric

--> Please note new E-mail address <--
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net