Re: Trademark symbols

Subject: Re: Trademark symbols
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:40:13 -0800

Richard Mateosian reminded me of the whole trademark story:
>Perhaps, or maybe you're remembering the situation with Apple Records, the
>Beatles' company. ...RM

Apple _has_ had a tough time of trademarks, heven't they? Back in the
Apple II days, the Apple name was only theirs for use with computer
products, because Apple records owned the name first. When Apple computers
began making sounds, a lawsuit from Apple Records resulted, but eventually
Apple Records lost.

I asked one of my former colleagues about this, and he told me that the
hi-fi MacIntosh company was owned by one man (last name MacIntosh), and
Steve Jobs wined and dined him, only to find that he didn't give a hoot
whether Apple used the name. So Jopbs gave him a Mac (one of the 256k,
single-400k floopy machines -- anyone else remeber those? you have up to 9
pages in a MacWrite file, then you ran out of RAM), and the Apple
documentation I worked on said "Apple is a trademark of and Macintosh is a
trademark licensed to Apple Computers Inc".

As usual, only the lawyers profited.

Eric

Eric Brown
Marketing Communications