How to Get Wired

Subject: How to Get Wired
From: Miki Magyar <miki -dot- d -dot- magyar -at- BANGATE1 -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 14:28:56 MDT

I got 15 responses to my query about how to get wired - using an
all-in-one fax/modem and finding an ISP (Internet Service Provider). My
thanks to all of you who responded! I am once again impressed with the
generosity and intelligence of Whirlers.

Here's a brief summary of the advice and information I got:

fax/modem: almost uniform recommendation to use an internal fax/modem card,
use Kinko's or equivalent for copying, have a separate phone line, and be
sure to get at least 28.8 Kbaud. Bob Sidman suggested going to computer
shows to get good deals, and several people recommended big discount places
like Sam's Club. Gary P. advised, from bitter experience, that you install
and test whatever you get ASAP, in case there are bugs.

ISP: the consensus seems to be that you should be able to get unlimited
service for about $20/month. The place to find a provider is on
http://www.thelist.com, then check with local users to see what they have
to say. Eric suggests lurking the local newsgroups to see which ones people
complain about. Again, most people advised getting a second phone line.
Several people said to avoid AOL, and one person said it was great.

Win Day suggested taking a small business management class at the local
community college. I can also strongly recommend that.

Miki
miki -dot- d -dot- magyar -at- bangate1 -dot- tek -dot- com
<speaking ex cathedra from my belly button> (RAH)

PS My sincere thanks to all of you who (mostly) politely told me I'd been
had by the Good Times virus hoax. I now have an experiential referent for
`social virus'. Atchoo! Once was enough.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net