job description

Subject: job description
From: Miki Magyar <miki -dot- d -dot- magyar -at- BANGATE1 -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:43:20 MDT

Kathy Craddock asked for descriptions of what our responsibilities are -
lots! When I first started working for the small electronics company (now
et up by The Corp), I was 'supervised' by an engineer who thought that
since the manuals went out on time and no one complained, I must be doing
okay. After my first review when it became clear he had no idea how to
evaluate what I was doing, I submitted my own review. It listed my major
areas of responsibility: writing, editing, management (even though I'm a
one person department, this is still essential), and professional
development. For each of these, I gave myself an overall rating (1 - 5),
described my goals for the year and how well I'd accomplished them, listed
achievements, and set out my plans for the next year. It worked on many
levels. Not only did he have a clearer idea of how to evaluate my work, but
he also got a better picture of what I could do. This helped me expand the
range of the department.

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, since it isn't a laundry list of
tasks, but I suspect that most of the tasks TWs do could be grouped under
these headings. It's a place to start.

Miki
The Documentation Department

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net