Re: Color screen captures

Subject: Re: Color screen captures
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:12:50 PST

box color scheme produces the best printed results?" for screen
grabs, Sue Gallagher wrote:
> To answer 1 and 2 together, I've found that hi-contrast 16-color
> screen images work best, avoiding moire patterns in printed
> material. To "live with" the same colors used for screen captures,
> I generally use dark red w/ white letters for active borders and
> dark blue with white letters for inactive borders. In Win 3.1,
> making menu bars white with black letters and to highlight drop-
> down menus, a dark, pure color (like dk cyan) with white letters
> works well.

I agree with Sue, except I use a pure yellow for my active title
bars and scroll bars. The pure yellow becomes a really nice greyscale
when printed out on a high-dpi lino, and I don't have moire problems
either!

She also added:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "chunky"... I use plain ol' Paintbrush
> to touch up screengrabs. It's best for constraining to 16 color.

Absolutely! I use the Windows 95 Paint program when I need to "clean
up" any screen grabs. I've never had a problem with my screen shots
at all. I usually just use [Alt] [PrintScrn] to take a shot of the
active dialog, and then paste directly into my document. If I need to
clean up anything (cause for some reason the dialog is modal and I
get the entire screen and not just the active dialog or window), then
I use Paint to clean up and remove all the extraneous stuff. Then I
cut and paste back into my document. I also sometimes use Quicture
when my docs get so large (due to the number of screen shots) that
they become bulky.

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net