Re: Color screen captures

Subject: Re: Color screen captures
From: Catherine McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:04:46 -0400

Thanks for all your suggestions so far for working with color screen
captures that are to be printed in black and white. But just to address Sue
Gallagher's question about this statemen of mine:

>>3. I've been experimenting with 16-color BMP files so far, and it certainly
>>makes the files more chunky than the monochrome BMPs did. Would you
>>recommend a different file format? If so, which one?

>I'm not sure what you mean by "chunky"... I use plain ol' Paintbrush
>to touch up screengrabs. It's best for constraining to 16 color.

By "chunky" I meant that my file size has greatly increased with the
addition of color graphics. Going from 2 colors to 16 means much bigger Word
files. I was just wondering if any other graphics file format would produce
good results without being quite so big.

Several people have suggested GIF files for size. One suggested TIFF
grayscale for best quality, given that we're printing on a high-resolution
Lino. If anyone else has other ideas, I'm still open to suggestions.

Not speaking for anyone but me,
Catherine McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>
Technical Writer, Spicer Corporation, Kitchener, ON
Employment Manager, STC Southwestern Ontario

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net