Re: printing odd page sequences in Word

Subject: Re: printing odd page sequences in Word
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 09:06:57 PST

Eric Brown asked:
<snip>> >The page size is exactly half a legal-size page. They print two pages per
> >legal page, sideway, on a laser printer, then photocopy two-sided, then
> >slice the stack down the middle and bind with a plastic spiral coil.
> >
> >What this comes down to is that they want to print odd sets of facing
> >pages; if the book were 8 pages, say, they'd want to print page 1 and 8 on
> >one legal page, then 2 and 7 and so on.

And Averil Strauss replied:
<snip>
> All you require is the PostScript file from Word or assorted other software,
> such as FrameMaker, Ventura (all versions), etc. You pull this PS file into
> DoubleUP, crop the letter page down to 8.5x7 inches and print. Knowing WP, I
> think you are referring to saddle-stitch printing, but for any document that
> is too thick to fold like most manuals, I recommend Twin printing. Twin puts
> 2 copies of page 1 on the first side of the first sheet, 2 copies of page 2
> on the second... The stack can then be sliced in half to obtain 2 complete
> collated copies of the manual, reducing handling and the chance of error as
> well as halving the cost of printing. The price is $369 in Canadian dollars
> or $259 US.

A cheaper option is to purchase ClickBook from Bookmaker. This cheap
(like maybe $50 USD) utility allows you to create your documents as
normal, and then print out two up so that they pages match up
correctly when bound as a book/booklet.

Let me know if you need more info. I use this utility all the time
with 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" booklets, and I'm sure there is no reason it
wouldn't work for the legal size pages you need. This option is a lot
more viable, also, if you are not using DocuTech systems.

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net