Re: copyright issues / binders

Subject: Re: copyright issues / binders
From: Martyn Thirlway <thirlwaym -at- USOFT -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:01:00 PDT

I would like more on this minefield too - in my experience, the rules and
regulations can differ from country to country, just to make things
difficult. I have worked in the UK, France, and Holland, and got different
answers to these questions in each country. My current belief is that the
first occurrence should use the appropriate symbol, and that each product
should be mentioned at the start of the book, in the form "XXX is a
trademark of YYY, Inc".

However, there is also the fact that trademarks can be registered in some
countries but not others, so do you say "is a regsitered trademark" or "is a
trademark"?

Some companies use the get-out clause "All products ... are trademarks of
their respective owners", but I have no idea whether this is legally OK in
any country.

I have dug into this several times, but each company's legal department
seems to have a different viewpoint (if indeed they even have a legal
department).

Why don't we writers get together and tell THEM what we think is best!?

Martyn Thirlway
thirlwaym -at- usoft -dot- nl
["I have nothing to declare but my genius" - Oscar Wilde]

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net