copyright issues / binders

Subject: copyright issues / binders
From: Edward Bilodeau <Edward_Bi -at- CEO -dot- STS-SYSTEMS -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:24:08 EST

Extended message

CEO document contents:
Would anyone know if copyright rules are different if your
documentation is distributed in a binder (where pages can easily be
removed) rather than in a bound format. I'm interested especially in
when you have to use the (c), (r), and (tm) symbols when you mention
product names in the text.

It seems the common wisdom is that you only need to use a copyright
symbol the first time you mention a product in your document.
However, our company's lawyers have informed us that we have to
include them for every occurance in the document. This applies even
to the name of the product I'm documenting. The result, aside from
being a hassle, is not very pleasing aesthetically and just looks
*wrong*.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edward Bilodeau
Technical Writer
STS Systems