Optimal Line Lengths (was Left vs Full Justification -Reply)

Subject: Optimal Line Lengths (was Left vs Full Justification -Reply)
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 10:20:18 HST

>I have also read that the point of diminishing returns vis a vis width is
supposed to be approximately fifty characters. Obviously, ten characters is
too short for most purposes and 100 to long.<
Rule of thumb I picked up from somewhere (God knows where!) was 39 --
specifically, the following string:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefgihjklm
should fit across one line in the chosen typeface and size. I'm not sure, it
may mean the string all uppercase

Anyone got any other thoughts? I suspect this is veering too far from the
list's area of interest, so private e-mail would be sufficient.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net