Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault

Subject: Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault
From: Averil Strauss <averil -at- LEGENDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 11:47:55 -0400

>I would claim that there is a more recent example that's considerably
>more real -- word processing in the '70s and '80s. People who latched
>onto troff or RUNOFF or whatever in the '70s found that the computer could
>help them create papers, manuals, and books, but left them in the lurch
>as far as graphics were concerned. The explosion in text capability was
>so great that many people were happy to adopt his compromise. Later,
>when the graphics end started to catch up, the illustrations reappeared.
>But this isn't a centuries-old phenomenon. Books printed on early
>Gutenberg presses were often filled with woodcuts. What was lost was
>COLOR. Color reappeared with advanced lithography in the nineteenth
>century.

> -- Robert
>--
>Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.

And now that there are digital color presses, copiers, and general means of
producing short-run color, color is reappearing. Dependent, of course, on
the budget, but color is good advertising. For those of you who are
lamenting the lack of funds for illustrations, try convincing the salesmen
that sales will be easier with better illustrations. I suggest that you have
a very good case.

Especially, have them show customers two similar manuals, one with an
illustrated color cover and one with a plain B&W text only cover, and ask
which the customer prefers.

Averil

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net