Jobs, the industry, etc.

Subject: Jobs, the industry, etc.
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:56:00 PDT

I'm wondering how other managers are faring out there in the rest of the
technical writing industry. Right now the Portland, Oregon area is
absolutely hopping. As employment information manager for the local STC
chapter, I'm tracking the following:

8 contract houses dying for more resumes to keep on file
17 employers looking for permanent bodies
6 contracts not through agencies ready to fill
4 editing or not-so-technical writing positions

There just don't seem to be enough bodies to go around right now. I have a
position I'm trying to fill, and the best writers are already employed and
hard to budge. What I hope is that this will precede a general upgrading of
pay levels for tech writers in the area, because it is definitely a seller's
market.

We're finding a lot of older, established companies are expanding, and a lot
of newer startups have reached the point where they need a real writer, not
the lead engineer, documenting their products. About six months ago, one of
the local industry experts (and now senatorial candidate, Tom Bruggere,
formerly of Mentor Graphics) opined that the Portland area had reached a
'critical mass' where spin-offs were spinning off and prospects were good
for the whole area. That seems to match what I'm seeing.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out. Are conditions fairly good all
over, or are we the ones who are sailing high now, just setting ourselves up
for a big fall later, to be replaced soon by North Carolina, Minnesota, St.
Louis, or some other city?

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com
Employment Information Manager, Willamette Valley STC
**e-mail me for a current jobs listing**

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net