Re: Windows 95 Logo

Subject: Re: Windows 95 Logo
From: Virginia Lawrence <vlawrence -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 14:41:53 -0400

>Here's a legal question.

>Our next release will be on Windows 95 as well as Windows 3.1, although the
>software won't meet all the requirements to be called Windows 95
>logo-compliant. Some new procedures will work only on Windows 95.

>So, we need to put something in the margin in the manual to mark Windows
>95-specific procedures. I suggested the Windows 95 Wingding that comes with
>Windows 95. It's the last Wingding in the Symbol dialog in Word 7; Wingding
>255. It's a rendering of the Microsoft flying window logo.

>Some people at the company are afraid this is illegal or otherwise verboten
>because the software is not Windows 95 logo-compliant. My guess is that it
>is OK to use the logo in the manual in this way, but what do I know? We've
>tried to ask Microsoft but have not been able to get through to anyone who
>can or will tell us if it's OK.

>Any ideas on this? OK or not OK? How can we find out?

Ron, it is a major operation to get permission from Microsoft to use a logo
on a product in any way. My previous company spent months proving to
Microsoft that the company had a product worthy of the Windows logo. If your
software is not completely compliant, I doubt that you will get permission.
I suggest that you never use a logo from Microsoft or IBM, in particular,
without permission.

How about a nice little W95?

Regards,
Virginia