doc to help theory

Subject: doc to help theory
From: Virginia Lawrence <vlawrence -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 22:28:55 -0700

Angela asked about Doc to help--

Yes, I agree that starting from Word 7, then using RoboHelp is good. I
started quickly with RoboHelp, but had big problems with Doc-to_Help.

RoboHelp compiles rather quickly on a Pentium, so that you can compile, see
the errors, fix, compile again. In contrast, I read on a CompuServe forum
that a help file taking 5 minutes to compile with RoboHelp will take 8 hours
with Doc-to_Help. No thanks.

With RoboHelp, I need only 1-2 days to convert a completed 200 page manual
to Windows help, setting up context-sensitive screens, but not fields. That
includes about 220 topics, some hot graphic buttons, and a decent index.
Otherwise, nothing fancy. RoboHelp is great.

I don't see any particular problem in maintaining context sensitive help. In
my experience, all you need is a topic for each context (field or screen,
whichever depth you prefer). RoboHelp then optionally provides the context
string map for the programmer to use when s(he) compiles the complete program.
Regards,
Virginia

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net