Re: project management info

Subject: Re: project management info
From: Nancy Paisner <nancy -at- HI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 14:27:27 -0400

Jacob,

Your earlier post recommended using MacProject, as a far superior and
more intuitive tool than any PC tool. However, just because that tool
fits your learning and operational style, that doesn't make it
automatically the best tool for all people, including all your
students.

5 years ago, I started managing documentation projects. At the time we
had UNIX workstations and some Macs at the office, but no PCs. I had
used PCs before, but not Macs. I tried for weeks to work with
MacProject, even getting help from a Mac-ophile at the office who kept
telling me how simple it was. I didn't find it simple at all; I found
it impossible to figure out, as did a colleague who was in the same
situation of having to manage multi-person projects. Finally, in
desperation, we decided to get a PC and try out Microsoft Project
(then in version 2.0, as I remember). Within a couple of days after
its arrival, we had our first usable Gantt charts ready and a sense of
the tasks that needed to be combined. To both of us, MS Project was
intuitive where MacProject was arcane; MS Project helped us get our
jobs done where MacProject made them harder.

Now my colleague and I are both fairly technical, so if all your
students are non-technical, the analogy may not be applicable.
Nonetheless, it remains true that different people have different
learning/thinking styles, and work better with different tools. I
don't doubt that Mac tools work best for you, but unless you screen
your students to be sure they all *think like you*, it's not
necessarily true that Mac tools will be the best choice for all of
them.

my $.02

Nancy

Nancy Paisner email: nancy -at- hi -dot- com
Hitachi Computer Products voice: (617) 890-0444
Waltham, MA. fax: (617) 890-4998