Re: Jobs, the industry, etc

Subject: Re: Jobs, the industry, etc
From: Jay Alexander <jayalex -at- FREEDOMNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:04:30 -0700

Gary C. Padgett wrote:

<< Tony Rocco mentioned Austin and Atlanta as technology centers in the South. What is Virginia like as far as
jobs for technical writers? I know that there are quite a few technology companies in northern Virginia I
heard that southern Virginia is beginning to see an influx of high-tech companies. Does anyone have in
information on this?>>

Greetings from Central Virginia! I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks and am presently trying to find
my way into this noble profession. I can tell you that the Richmond area has been chosen for two sizable chip
plants to be built in the next couple of years. According to media reports, Motorola will eventually employ up
to 5,000 people at its site in Goochland County west of the city. White Oak Semiconductor, a recently formed
joint venture between Motorola and Siemans, will employ several thousand at its facility to be built in Henrico
County just east of the city. I believe that Motorola will manufacture the Power PC chip here while White Oak
will make a new DRAM chip.

Hopefully, these developments are only the beginning of the influx about which Gary spoke. Naturally, I'll be
interested in any other responses.

Jay
Jay Alexander
Richmond, Virginia USA
E-mail: jayalex -at- freedomnet -dot- com
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net