Re: translating video

Subject: Re: translating video
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:29:00 EDT

I have found when I am writing for translation, that the translation is the
most successful when I've written concisely and expressed exactly what I
mean with or without contractions. The only time contractions have become an
issue in my experience has been when the translator was attempting
transliteration rather than translation.
When I send something out to be translated, my major concern is that the
information is presented accurately in the translated text. Most of the time
this means that my word choices and sentence structure isn't accurately
reflected in the translation - which really doesn't matter. The purpose
behind translation is to present the same idea, instruction or description
in another language, not to present the same word choices or sentence
structure.
Just an opinion.
Regards
Paul C.
paul -dot- cheverie -at- gpo -dot- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: translating video
Date: Friday, June 14, 1996 7:51AM

I have heard that one should not use contractions when writing technical
manuals slated for translation. In reading the literature on producing
videos, I found that one should use contractions and other rules that
violate the "writing for translations" guidelines. Can anyone tell me if
the " translation writing guidelines" differ for video? Are there any
rules hanging around out there?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

--
Peg Rickard (rickard -at- nicmad)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net