CFP about women in technical communication

Subject: CFP about women in technical communication
From: Gail Lippincott <lipp0015 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 09:01:42 -0500

Colleagues:
Please excuse the cross-postings of this call for papers. Feel free to forward
this announcement to interested parties and lists.

_Technical Communication Quarterly_ will publish a special issue (Winter 1998)
on the role of women in the history of scientific and technical communication.
As we learn more about what constitutes our history as a discipline, scholarship
has evaluated the broad trends, curriculuar shifts, and evolutionary patterns
that have influenced technical communication. Within that broad framework,
though, individual groups of educators, writers, and scholars may be overlooked.

We seek to highlight womenÕs contributions as part of the effort to define the
history of technical communication. In addition, women who wrote for other
women on family-related or traditionally feminine concerns may have contributed
to a body of early work in technical communicaton which deserves further
scrutiny. As a discipline matures, that discipline naturally looks to past
trends for a sense of identity and permanency. The role of women in the
formation of our collective identity must, therefore, be considered.

The editors of this special issue seek original contributions addressing, but
not limited to, the following topics:
* Did a single woman or group of women contribute to our collective historical
identity?
* What role(s) have women (as a group or individually) played in
scientific/technical literature outside of English-speaking nations?
* Do historical technical documents written by women reveal trends in the
general literacy patterns of women or differences in the way documents were
written for men vs. women?
* Do any traditional scientific/technical fields seem to have welcomed women
more readily than others? With what results?
* Does evidence reveal that only certain areas within the broad spectrum of
ÒtechnologyÕÕ were open to women writing technical documents? Did any women
distinguish themselves by writing outside of those areas?
* What role have women played in the development of curriculum in
scientific/technical literature? In research agendas? In academic program
development? In professional organizations?
* What aspects of the social nature of communication might apply to the work
women have done in science/technical communication?

This special issue will be guest edited by Teresa Kynell, Jo Allen, and
Elizabeth Tebeaux. Please send ideas, proposals, and drafts to:

Teresa Kynell
Department of English
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, Michigan 49855
e-mail: tkynell -at- nmu -dot- edu
work: 906-227-2012
fax: 906-227-1096

Please send a 500-word description of the proposed paper by October 1, 1996.
The deadline for submission of papers is March 1, 1997.