Re: note taking -Reply

Subject: Re: note taking -Reply
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:29:37 -0500

I don't think the concern is about being above doing certain things. Goodness knows
I've done of lot of things as a technical writer that had nothing to do with my
title and I'm glad to do them. In my last job, I volunteered to take minutes and
create agendas for three sets of meetings. But there's a big difference between
minutes (which document the groups activities and are very useful) and
transcription, which is what I understood the requirement was. I think in many
situations, technical writers are perceived as people who can't do the technical
work so they write about it. My main concern would be whether this is a problem at
this job and whether the clerical work added to that perception. If it does, that's
something you'd probably want to avoid if you can.

At any rate, whether a certain viewpoint on this issue makes someone a prima donna
is kind of irrelevant. If you don't mind it or don't have a choice but to do it,
you'll do it. If not, you'll be at the Xerox at Kinko's with Eric.

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier and Russel