Re: User Interface Design

Subject: Re: User Interface Design
From: David Wood <dave -dot- wood -at- MARRIOTT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:10:31 EST

We have a small systems design group within in our rather large
department that supports our corporate payroll and A/P systems.
The fact that they are independent from the central I/S division
makes them a lot more responsive to suggestions from within the
department.

Although it hasn't always been the case, we have had good results
when the documentation people are included in user interface
design discussions, as well as our training coordinator (highly
recommended). We take it as our brief to represent the end user
and feel that any ease-of-use issues we are able to resolve
during design reviews are issues we won't have to fix with
documenation or training.

Allow me to add to the sources already mentioned by Michael
Loader "Electronic Performance Support Systems" by Gloria Gery.
Also, if you ever get a chance to hear her speak, take it and be
prepared for a very entertaining and informative (and highly
opinionated <g>) experience.

Dave Wood, Documentation Manager | "Man's mind stretched to a |
Corporate Accounting Services | new idea never goes back to |
Marriott International | its original dimensions." |
Washington DC (301) 380-4339 | |
dave -dot- wood -at- marriott -dot- com | - Oliver Wendell Holmes |